18th March 2016
News & Current Affairs
- Which of the following didn't have duty frozen in the budget this week: beer, whisky or wine?
- After remeasuring Ben Nevis, have the OS decided it is taller or shorter than previously stated?
- Trading Standards have instructed Indesit to take "more action" over a fire risk in what type of home appliance?
- Which type of animal has come top of the Royal Horticultural Society's pest poll: a cat, a caterpillar or a frog?
- Which US Presidential Candidate has made it into the top ten risks identified by the Economist Intelligence Unit?
- What nationality was the first man to complete a spacewalk, on 18th March 1965?
- Which is not a county in Ireland: Carlow, Louth or Moray?
- In a game of chess, what is the maximum number of white pieces that can sit on black squares at any one time?
- In a typical four-colour deck, which suit is shown in red?
- Which seasonal confectionery product was marketed with the slogan, "How do you eat yours"?
Beginning with P...
- Which three-letter breed of dog was introduced to Europe by the Dutch East India Company?
- In which US state would you find the city of Bethlehem in the counties of Lehigh and Northampton?
- Which American artist has sometimes been referred to as "TAFKAP"?
- Which chemical element is named after potash?
Give the one-word titles of the songs which contain the following lyrics:
- "You tell me that you're sorry, didn't think I'd turn around, and say..."
- "When the feelings gone and you can't go on it's..."
- "Blood stains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room // We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams"
Country of the Week: Scotland
- Which colours appear on the flag of Scotland?
- Celebrating the patron saint of Scotland, in which month does St. Andrew's Day fall: March, June or November?
- Which Scot topped the BBC Radio 4 Women's Hour Power List for 2015?
Name the link between the following:
- Which Colonel started the fast food chain Kentucky Fried Chicken?
- Which UK greetings card retailer has previously bought shops from Hallmark Cards and Carlton Cards, and once owned the Birthdays brand?
- Which name is given to a playing card, which according to Wikipedia is "elevated above its normal rank in trick-taking games"?
- What is the surname of English singer Kate, famed for her debut single "Wuthering Heights", which she released at the age of 19?