1st January 2016 - knowledge.fail
1st January 2016
News & Current Affairs
- Which of the following hasn't been named in the New Years' Honours list - Idris Elba, A.P. McCoy or Andy Murray?
- Which fantasy show has been named the most pirated TV show for the fourth year running?
- An Air India flight from Mumbai to London was forced to turn back after what was spotted on board?
- Did the FTSE-100 end the year higher or lower than it started?
- A freedom of information request has revealed that in 2011 the Royal Mint proposed a six-sided 60p coin to commemorate which national event?
- Who became president of Cuba after Fulgencio Batista fled to the Dominican Republic on 1st Jan 1959?
Country of the week: Austrailia
- Which three colours appear on the flag of Australia?
- Which is the largest city in Australia?
- True or False: Australia is the first country to completely be in the new year?
In which country are each of the following traditions followed to celebrate the new year?
- The national broadcaster carries the sound from St. Stephen's Cathedral, followed by Johann Strauss II's "The Blue Danube"
- Several television networks broadcast a comedy play, "Dinner for One", recorded in 1963 (played annually from 1972)
- Wearing red underwear
- In how many different time zones could you celebrate the New Year (you're allowed to teleport) - 18, 24 or 40?
- What is the maximum number of days that can make up a century?
- Which has never been an Olympic sport: Petanque, Polo, Water motorsports?
- Fill in the gap in Auld Lang Syne: "We'll ____ a cup of kindness yet, for the sake of Auld Lang Syne".
- Which symbol doesn't represent an element: Ne, W, Ye, Ar?
This week's letter: H
- Which ex-Premier League team has a name beginning with H?
- Which is the animal in the Chinese zodiac beginning with H?
- Which of the seven dwarves has a name beginning with H?
Name the link between the following:
- What was unusual about Northern Ireland's Northern Bank £5 note, released to celebrate the Year 2000?
- After Sau Paulo, which is the second-largest city in Brazil?
- What is the name of Seth Grahame-Smith's parody of Pride and Prejudice, with a horror theme?
- Which battle has been lost most recently by Mitt Romney, John McCain, John Kerry and Al Gore?